Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hot Dog! I'm one of the Wieners (I mean, Winners)

MENTAL STATUS: "Pleased as punch". Is that a southern phrase? Where did that come from? How can punch be pleased? Anyway, see below to know why.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm more pleased with the results or just because I got to use that line in my BLOG title. But back in December I found out I was a finalist in the 2006 RWA NY Love & Laughter Contest. I just checked out their website and learned I came in third place! (Hey, I was going for gold but I'll take the bronze any day.)

So that pepped me up--which is what I needed because I've been stuck with my writing. I honestly cannot go farther than page 38 on my new story for some reason. I even changed the ending to that chapter three times!!

I could really kick myself. I have no idea what my problem is. Well... that's not true. I think I know what my problem is.

Maybe it's a little FEAR.

No, not Grim Reaper fear, or that guy in the Scream mask fear. It's just that since I know more about writing now than I did with my last manuscript, I feel my writing should be much better, my story rippling with even higher conflict and better and bigger G & Ms and the whole nine yards. And I'm afraid it's not the case and I'm reverting back.

All I want to do is tell an amusing story. So I want to throw all these stupid plotting charts against the wall and just write. But I'm afraid to do that. So I'm stuck thinking... and thinking... and thinking. And we all know me thinking is dangerous.

I guess I should just write the darn thing and worry later. After all, like Nora Robert's says, "You can't edit a blank page." (I think she says that. I have to go and check my critique forum)

Have you ever gotten so caught up in plotting that it's affected your writing?

6 comments:

Elle Fredrix said...

My characters do all the plotting and every once in a while they stop talking to me. My story comes to a screeching halt because none of us know what to do next. Eventually, it all comes together in my head, and off I go again.

I recently read something that had an impact. We tend to think we're not writing, when we're not--well, actually writing. But there's so much more involved then just our fingers on the keyboard. Even while we're doing the dishes or whatever, that story can be dancing in our heads. We can be analyzing and rejecting ideas. We aren't writing, but we're still working. I thought that was a good thing to remember, becuase sometimes we beat ourselves up far too much.

Chicki Brown said...

Quote: It's just that since I know more about writing now than I did with my last manuscript, I feel my writing should be much better..."

Oh Jen, I'm feeling you! That's where I'm at right now. I'm second guessing myself on every sentence and trying to remember everything I've learned in the past year. But it seems to be paralyzing me. Each time I try to finish my WIP, I hate it even more. There's really only one more major scene to write, and I just can't get it done. These are times when you wish you could call in a ghost writer and tell them to wrap the darn thing up!

Unknown said...

Hey - a third place win! Yippee - doing the happy dance for you!

Angela Jefferson said...

Congrats on you great news! You should be getting some good feedback now from that publisher.

I know how you feel about your story. Check out my blog. I wrote about the same thing today.

Prixie said...

CONGRATS! oh, and I guess all writers do get stuck every now and then... Lord knows I have been fearing the keyboard too.
But this must be just the boost you need.
*smile*

Jennifer Shirk said...

Thanks, ladies!!