Monday, March 12, 2007

What happened, Amercia??

MENTAL STATUS: "Apprehensive". I have yet ANOTHER dentist appointment scheduled today. This is a new dentist that might be doing an extraction and an implant. And now I'm so worried about this appointment that I'm beginning to think I feel pain in other teeth.
(I know. I'm a mess)

Now back to our regularly scheduled talk... the top 12 of American Idol.

What happened, America? Sabrina out and Haley in? Jared out and Sanjaya in? Life doesn't make sense anymore. And I know I'm not alone in this thinking, since I can't seem to get away from this talk no matter where I am. So by all means, let's analyze...

Okay. I missed the voting for the guys, so I can't complain too much. But I will say this: I had high hopes for Sundance (voted off). When he first auditioned, I was blown away. Then he got all "pitchy-weird song-hairspray in the goatee-too much eyeliner" on me. So maybe America felt the same way.
I liked Sanjaya in the beginning, too. The brother-sister thing was sweet. The soft spoken shy act was sweet. Then something happened. Was it the weird old man hat and the hula dancing? I'm not sure. But whenever I see him now, I think Michael Jackson-- the latter years. Oh well.
The word on FOX News is that Sanjaya is a big hit with the girls. How old are these girls, anyway? And, more importantly, are they tone-deaf?

Now, I did vote (yes, I really did) on the girls night. So what if my reasons for voting may not have been purely virtuous. I had no other choice. I was going to scream if I had to hear Antonella butcher one more song. It called me into action.

I thought I had the perfect plan. I'd vote for the girl who deserved to be there but maybe wouldn't get enough votes to stay, AKA Gina. So, with the help of the redial feature of my phone, I voted for her about 4 times then eventually couldn't get through anymore. After that, I voted for my favorites (Lakisha and Melinda) to ensure they'd move on. All in all, it took me about 3 minutes of my time. Not bad. I'd figure my votes for Gina would cancel any votes Antonella would get if people thought exactly as I had. Genius, wasn't it?
Well, Antonella was voted off (and why did she seem so truly shocked?), but there was a small flaw in my plan.

I didn't think about the second girl who would be voted off. I just figured if I could somehow get Antonella off the show, America would take care of the rest.

WRONG. Wrong. Wrong.

Okay. I'm calmer now. Lesson learned. A new plan has been devised. I'm thinking I might have to vote for everyone BUT the person I want voted off to ensure success. It might take 5 minutes of my time, but I think it could work.

Yes, you may say I need to get a life. But I say I'm doing my duty as an avid American Idol watcher and exercising my right to vote come Tuesday night.

Will you?

3 comments:

Chelle Sandell said...

I've never voted before but bring it on baby! It is a popularity contest like Miss Paula says. Sanjaya doesn't have a strong voice neither is he sexy. Okay...maybe not to me since I like big ol' corn-fed cowboys.

Got my redial finger ready now!

Chicki Brown said...

I'm with you on this one, but I'm putting all my votes behind the people I think should stay in the contest. We adults have to outvote the tweens (the 10-12 year olds)!

Also I agree with you on the Sanjaya/Michael Jackson thing. It was the first thing that came to my mind when he sang that song wearing the hat. All he needed was the sparkly glove and socks. :)

It's a sad commentary on the American mentality when each week more people vote on AI than in the presidential elections, but then again the contestants are so much more likeable! '08 is going to change that. Go Barack!

Elle Fredrix said...

As a Canadian, I can't vote. All I can do is sit back and think, what?? Have American's lost their collective minds!??

I watch this show strictly for the singing. Finding someone new makes it all worthwhile. Can I say Daughtry anyone? And yeah, wasn't that another good call, America??
I fast forward through any not so good singers (insert quite a few this year) and the judges comments.

If Lakisha or Melinda don't win this thing, I'll be stunned. And Gina? You go girl!