Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5



I'm hungry right now, so here's....
Thirteen Interesting Things
I've Eaten In My Lifetime (and liked)


1…. Snails ** Escargot, really. But snails are snails no matter what you call them. And they're yummy drenched in all that butter and garlic.

2.... Frog Legs **Tastes like chicken. Really!

3.... Raw quail egg ** To clarify, it was a quail egg broken on top of a piece of sushi and eaten all together. So it's not like I just cracked a quail egg in my mouth or something. I mean, sheesh! I have some standards.


4.... Raw octopus** It kind of goes with the whole sushi thing, but this was kind of weird because it was so tough to chew.


5.... Ostrich **When I saw this on the menu at a local restaurant, I had to order it. Or more accurately, I had to have my hubby order it so I could try it. It's been a while, but I don't think it tasted like chicken. Isn't that a surprise?


6.... Buffalo** Hey, when in Montana...


7.... Caviar** I had the cheap stuff and the $$ stuff in all its salty goodness.


8.... Oxtail** Just had this when I was in the Bahamas a few days ago. Tasted like veal mixed with gelatin.


9.... Rabbit** Sorry Bugs Bunny.


10.... Alligator** Now this DID taste like chicken!


11.... Foie Gras** Do you actually know what this is? It's the liver of a duck or goose that's been overly fattened up. Is that the correct phrase? Oh well. Gross, yes. But delicious.


12.... Gefilte Fish** Maybe this isn't interesting if you're Jewish, but since I'm not, I found it very interesting-but only somewhat tasty. Maybe I had a bad batch or something.


13.... Cow Brains** Yes. Cow brains. And I'm ashamed to say, I had it more than once in my life and nobody even held a gun to my head. My mom made this a few times when I was growing up. Kind of strange to see a brain soaking in your kitchen sink when you come home from school, but I think you have to in order to devein it properly. Oh. Okay. I'll shut up now.



The sad thing is I had much more than thirteen things to put on this list, so I had to pare down my list immensely.


Eat anything funky lately?





24 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Funny! You're a brave soul, Jen.

Once I unknowingly ate possum (with A-1 steak sauce on it). It was good actually.

I also tasted alligator at Pappadeaux's. It does taste like chicken!

Most of the time I try to stay FAR away from the funky stuff.

Anonymous said...

Wow, adventurous!
I had snails - yummy, but I had to have a few drinks first. And caviar, alligator (very common in appetizers here in Florida - Gator Bites), Foie Gras (before I knew what it was; now my PC self can't touch it, but it was yummy!)

You can keep the cow brains. Just ... eww!

Emma Petersen said...

1 - I love escargot! I don't know if it's the garlic butter or the snails. Hehe I'm thinking it's the garlic butter.

2 - Frog legs. I've had but I'm too young too remember what they tasted like.

3 - I havent had raw quail eggs but I have had quail eggs.

4 - I don't think I've had raw octopus. But I do believe I've had octopus.

5 - Does ostrich eggs count?

6 - I've had buffalo and raw buffalo liver. Don't ask.

7 - Mmm! I had quail eggs dipped in batter and fried topped with caviar with creme fraiche! It sounds gross but its really yummy!

8 - Nope. Never had an oxtail. Veal with gelatin? Hmmm...

9 - Yep!

10 - Nope. I have a thing about eating something has has possibly eaten a human being. (except for shark! love shark)

11 - Mmmm Foie gras with toasted brioche! YUM!

12 - I haven't had gefilte fish.

13 - We call them sesos. Hehe. We eat them in tacos and they're yummy!

14 - I'm adding one. Beaver tail soup! It's different but its yummy!

8 - Nope

Tempest Knight said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! You're very adventurous!

Rhonda Helms said...

WOW, I don't think I've ever had ANY of these! You are BRAVE!!!

Babe King said...

What? No Moo-shoe pork? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not adventurous with food.

Don't know how you ate that stuff. lol

Debbie Mumford said...

My goodness! You ARE an adventurous soul! I'll admit to the buffalo (and deer and elk)...as you say, when in Montana...

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

Crystal Jordan said...

I've had Buffalo...the rest I don't think I ever would. *shudder*

Chelle Sandell said...

Snails...yes & yummy. Butter and garlic make almost anything taste good!! Frog legs...mini chicken. You got me at raw food...sushi-eggs-octopus...can't do it! They sell buffalo in some of the stores here. There are several local ranches. I've had the cheap caviar but too salty for me and foie gras is okay. Not on my to-do list though. Oxtail and brain...sorry. Alligator is an app on several restaurants here-definitely chicken.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Um, cow brains?
Okay. I'm not sure I could eat that. Even if they are deveined.

R.G. ALEXANDER said...

I've had buffalo and cows brains. Actually I went to a wedding on the Mexican border with friends, they cooked the whole head of the cow in a hole in the ground-and I had cow brains with avacado on a fresh tortilla. They didnt tell me until I'd eaten it-but I couldnt care-cause it was pretty good.

Kate Willoughby said...

Snail - didn't like.
Cooked octopus - couldn't chew!
Oxtail - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT with just soy sauce.

Cool list.

I used to eat barbequed duck intestines wrapped around a chicken foot when I was very little. It was a treat my mom got me when we ventured into Chinatown.

Em said...

I've had kangaroo! It...tastes like chicken.

And I just tried snails last week. Not bad until you look closely at the little suckers. Then I lost my appetite.

Anonymous said...

I am so not eating lunch between this blog and Rhonda's gross outs.

I am not an adventurous eater. At all.

Shari said...

Ack! I'm not that brave. Escargot is the only thing I've had on your list.

Elle Fredrix said...

OMG. You did that just to gross me out, didn't you??

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

I've had buffalo and hated it, but I LOVE oxtails. I grew up with them. Mom made oxtail soup or would put them in her spaghetti sauce instead of meatballs. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I've had 1,26,7 and instead of 10 I had crocodile but same diff and yes, tasted like fatty chicken. I've also had 11. I could have done without reading 13 - ick.

I may borrow this TT - very interesting.

Unknown said...

Sorry Jen - there we're just too many things on that list that you couldn't pay me to eat!

Unknown said...

I'm too sentimental about snails and frogs to be able to eat them. Ostrich, I've had--it's very healthy, apparently. :-) I love octopus--although I've never had it raw. I can't even *imagine* eating alligator, although I can't feel sentimental about alligators so I would try it.
Great list!
Immi
x

Two Voices Publishing said...

I've had oxtail soup when I was in Australia, and also tried Vegemite when I was there. No offense to my Aussie friends, but they can keep Vegemite thanks.

Anonymous said...

Well, of your list, I've eaten #1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10.

My culinary experiences have included beef tendon, bean paste with white fungus, rattlesnake, armadillo, possum, squirrel, hogshead cheese, tripe, chitlins, sea anemone, baby eels, haggis, pigeon, dove and mountain oysters (bull testicles). I know there's more. I just can't think of them at the moment.

Grace

http://grace-draven.livejournal.com

Angela's Designs said...

Ox tail soup is a specialty in rural Alaska. There aren't any natural oxen out there. But the locals really picked up a love for ox tail and make some great soups. Yummy.