Friday, September 21, 2007

Master of Small Talk

IN THE NEWS: According to Philly.com, "Firefighters had to tear though a wall to rescue an intoxicated man in Indiana who became stuck while trying to climb down a chimney into the residence of his former girlfriend.
Alejandro Valencio said he was drunk when he got into the chimney about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday.
"Everyone do stupid things sometimes when they're drunk," he said.
Firefighters requested assistance from police after arriving because they said Connie Deweese was hampering the rescue effort by blocking the fireplace."


My mother is visiting, so I don't have time to blog. (But I am anyway) So I'll just throw out this one observation:

Do you every notice that when people have NOTHING else to say or there is ANY awkward moment hanging in the air, they will resort to discussing "the weather"? My hubby and I have had this conversation recently and since he's brought it up, I notice this all the time.

It's kind of creepy.

For example: I was in a store the other day, and the person helping me was entering all my information in his computer so he could order what I wanted. But the computer was slow (surprise surprise) and so I was left standing there for a few minutes as he stared into his computer screen. Then finally he looked up and said, "It's beautiful out today, isn't it?"

I actually wanted to tell him it was beautiful all week and today was no different, but I smiled and wholeheartedly agreed instead. Unfortunately, the topic didn't die. He then went on to give me the probable forecast for the next few days and started to compare this month's weather with last year's weather.

Thank goodness his computer started working again.

Then I went to the library and met a mom that I've seen around town. We had chatted about our kids and school for quite a while, but as soon there was an awkward silence, she brought up about how much she loved this weather we were having. I almost busted up laughing.

Trust me, you'll start to notice it now, too.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

LOL! I did that exact thing yesteray when I went out to get the mail and saw my neighbor. We go to the same church, but we have nothing in common otherwise. She never talks about anything but church, and although I LOVE my church, that can get really boring after a while.

So, what came out of my mouth? "It's so gorgeous out today. I'm loving this weather." Ho hum...

Valerie Everhart said...

LOL..now I'll be inundated with weather forecasts all afternoon, since I'll remember what you said.

PatriciaW said...

I know I do this. It's a safe conversation starter, particularly if you don't know the person. People are so sensitive these days. How can anyone be sensitive about the weather?

But, it's also a crutch. I've been conscious of it and realize that I have dig deeper, which means I have to listen and care more, to remember details that will allow me to talk about something else with each individual I meet. Good conversation takes work...for some of us.

Stephanie said...

lol, I've never noticed but I'll have to now! ;o)

Babe King said...

lol Yeah, but that's better than what happens to me. Soon as anyone meets you they trot out some medical complaint or new pill or skin rash they've been meaning to have looked at and ask your opinion. Um, yeah. I'll check your butt rash in the main street.
Or not. :-)

see, weather really isn't that bad, huh?