Tuesday, March 24, 2009

More Reading Outside the Box

IN THE NEWS: "Curt Schilling retired from baseball Monday, ending a career in which he won World Series titles with the Boston Red Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks and was one of the game's most dominant pitchers and grittiest competitors." Read more HERE.

I read a lot of books in a year (As I'm sure most of you out there do, too) And out of those many books I read, I can count on ONE hand how many of them make me want to skip sleep entirely and just keep reading. Well, here's one I found: Murder by Family by Kent Whitaker.

I won't review it yet, since it's one of the books that's up for one of my FIRST posts in May, but I can definitely tell you that it's... awesome. The book is non fiction, Christian, and a very compelling true story about a man's faith and journey toward forgiveness after the murder of his wife and son.

Holy smokes! I could not put it down!

I also just finished At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. Hmmm... I don't know what you would classify that book as. Christian literary? Not as a complelling a read as Murder by Family, but, still, it was a very sweet book.

I'm actually on a mission right now to read "outside the box"--ya know, genres I don't write. I don't know, I guess I like to stir the mind up a bit, get the juices flowing, see what else is out there...

I haven't decided what I'll pick next.

What are you reading now?

4 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

I've put down a few books lately that just didn't grab my attention, but I'm hooked on Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series. They are fantastic stories featuring Navy SEALS with lots of action and romance.

I'm also reading Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins. It's slower paced than the Brockmann books, but I LOVE her writing.

Kristen Painter said...

I'm trying to read Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr, but I'm having a hard time focusing on reading right now. Just too much other stuff going on.

Tana said...

Have you tried Francine Rivers?

I'm so excited for you about your novel!!!!! You must be jazzed!

Jessica Nelson said...

WOW! Murder By Family sounds riveting and like a tear jerker. How sad...