Friday, April 24, 2009

Don't Ya Hate When You're Right?

IN THE NEWS: Judge orders defendant's mouth taped shut. Read more HERE.

I sat down last night with my little notepad and pen (OK, it was a mechanical pencil) and decided to take a good long look at the outline I had done for my story. Something was bothering me, so I wanted to retool it a bit to make sure I did enough of a convincing job as to why my hero could not be with my heroine.

Well, after an hour and a half of writing and tinkering with different tangents my character could take then scratching them out then writing them again, I realized something.

I was back to where I had originally started. *sigh*

So in essence, I was right all along. But it was probably good for me to think so much about what was going in my character's head. I feel I have better grasp of my story. And low and behold, I'll get to work on it some more today. :)

Now--in honor of Earth Day-- I will leave you with my kiddo's effort to take my recycled trash and make it a work of art.

"Gary" the robot

Its head is a Hershey's cocoa container, the body is a sushi rice bottle, and some used straws as the arms. :)

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

It's a masterpiece! Very well done!

Getting deeper into our characters' heads is the only way we can truly understand their behavior and why they refuse to cooperate believably in our stories. Very frustrating, I know!

Thanks for joining my blog followers, Jennifer. I look forward to learning more about you on this blog.

Chicki Brown said...

Gary is great!

Glad you realized your original plan was the right one. Since Monday I've been working on changing my story a bit. I might have Chs. 7 and 8 uploaded today.

Have a great weekend.

Stephanie said...

LOL! So cute!

Glad you worked out your story. sometimes we have to sit and figure it out in our minds just to justify our first train of thought. Glad it worked out! It could have been worse. You could have been totally wrong and had to start all over, right? ;oD

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

That's a fear of mine...that I will find out something is so totally wrong and I will have to go back and rewrite the whole thing! I keep plowing through and praying that whatever is wrong will be fixable.

Jessica Nelson said...

LOL You're a dedicated writer to spend so long getting into your characters' heads. I hope you end up with a masterpiece. :-)

MsSnarkyPants said...

hehe I guess you just have to learn to accept your magnificence and not second guess yourself. hehe

Gary is awesome! My little guy is sitting next to me, and now he wants to make one too.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Love your daughter's earth friendly work of art!

I think sitting down and looking at your story from a distance can be really helpful sometimes, and in this case it seems like you've realized you are going in the right direction. Now you've just got to add a little more purple to your word meter!

Chelle Sandell said...

She did a great job! Little man wants to do one next week.

Sometimes we also need to trace our doubts to build the confidence in the foundation of our story. Did that make sense? TGIF!! Have a great weekend!!

Jody Hedlund said...

Very cute art work! Don't you just love the things kids create?!

Unknown said...

LOVE the robot ... isn't creativity grand, in all of its manifestations : ) ?