Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Grilled Pizza Time!

IN THE NEWS: "Man, 84, fights off carjackers with groin kick." Read more here.
Recent IPod Download: "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa.



The weather has been SO nice, my hubby decided to grill for dinner. I've mentioned my hubby's grilled pizza before, but just in case you haven't been paying attention I'll say it again.

It's AWESOME. (And not entirely off my diet, so no boos and hisses from the audience)


Anyhew, I wanted to try something new so I went to the library to get a grilled pizza cookbook--and book on screenplay writing.
*cough cough*

This is the recipe we tried.

The Fromaggian (wouldn't that be a cool title for a book?)

Pizza dough (I buy whole wheat dough already made at the supermarket)

1TBsp parm cheese
1/2 c mozzarella
1 cup chunky tomato basil sauce (see below)
1/2 c cheddar cheese
1/4 c crumbled feta cheese

"Chunky Tomato Basil Sauce"

2 gloves garlic
8 fresh basil leaves
28 oz can of pureed tomatoes
2 TBsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sugar

Place garlic and basil in food processor until chopped to bits. Then throw the rest of the ingredients together. (It doesn't call for it, but I heated it through just to have the flavors blend better.)

Yummo! You haven't lived until you've had a good grilled pizza. :)

11 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Never heard of grilled pizza, as in on the grill outside? Does that really work to cook the dough and everything without burning it? You can tell that I'm a microwave kind of gal!

Jessica Nelson said...

Wow, grilled pizza sounds delish. Never heard of it before either.
So someone kicked a hijacker in the groin? AWESOME! LOL

Kristen Painter said...

I love homemade pizza, but I've never grilled it. I have a pizza stone that turns out a nice crispy crust. I'm not sure a grill could hold the pizza since I like a really thin crust. Might try it tho. Sure sounds good!

Diane Craver said...

I never heard of grilled pizza - sounds good. I'll copy this recipe. Thanks, Jennifer!

Stephanie said...

I've heard of grilled pizza...and this sounds yummy!!!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I love trying new recipes. Thanks for sharing, and just in time for grilling season. I'll let you know what my kiddo's think of this when the rain stops.

Do you seriously put this on the BBQ to cook? I've never ever tried pizza on a grill, but I bet it would be good.

Chelle Sandell said...

Do you buy the premade pizza rounds? Those are strong enough to hold up on the grill. We've used those before. The recipe sounds mm mmm good;)

Tana said...

Yum what times dinner? LOL you such an author and yes it would be an awesome title for a book! Screen plays hmm? You could pay someone to adapt your novel although I'm of sure of the cost...

Jill Kemerer said...

Thanks a lot...now I want pizza! P.S. Was the screenwriting book "Save the Cat" by any chance? I love that book!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Jody and Eileen:
Yes, you put the dough right on the grill! Then when one side is done, you flip it over onto a cookie sheet, put your toppings on the cooked side and then place the uncooked side back on the grill. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Jill: No, but I just saw that "Cat" book mentioned in the Romance Writer's Report. My library didn't have it. :(