Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Scoop on Ice Cream

IN THE NEWS: Seven suburban Philadelphia children had a brush with the law for selling without a permit , selling lemonade, that is. Read more HERE.


Bad news. I was eating...toffee yesterday and the crown on my implant came right off. (Fortunately I didn't swallow the thing!) I knew I shouldn't have had candy for dessert. WHY didn't I have ice cream? WHY???

I wanted the ice cream, but I figured a piece of toffee was less calories. And now, I have an unexpected trip to the dentist in store for me tomorrow. Wah.
On my way home from the dentist I plan on treating myself (and the kiddo) to some ice cream. (To cheer myself up.)

My favorite? Moose tracks.

**Did you know that in 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream month and the third Sunday on the month as National Ice Cream Day?
**Did you also know that the U.S. ice cream industry generates more than $21 billion in annual sales and provides jobs for thousands of people? About 9% of all milk produced by U.S. dairy farmers is used to make ice cream.
Source: International Ice Cream Association.

Also, according to the International Ice Cream Association, these are the 15 most popular ice cream flavors:
1. Vanilla, 29%
2. Chocolate, 8.9%
3. Butter pecan, 5.3% (My mom's favorite)
4. Strawberry, 5.3%
5. Neapolitan, 4.2%
6. Chocolate chip, 3.9%
7. French vanilla, 3.8% (Um, is there really a difference between this and #1?)
8. Cookies and cream, 3.6%
9. Vanilla fudge ripple, 2.6%1
0. Praline pecan, 1.7%
11. Cherry, 1.6%
12. Chocolate almond, 1.6%
13. Coffee, 1.6%
14. Rocky road, 1.5%
15. Chocolate marshmallow, 1.3% (Another favorite of mine)
All others, 23.7%

Shocking, huh? Moose tracks is not on that list. Not even Mint Chocolate Chip.
~~~~~~~
Anyhew, still finishing up with my contest judging today and then I hope to do a little writing. Even more shocking. :)

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

11 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Mine are chocolate, French Vanilla (richer flavor than plain vanilla), and coffee.

See, now I want ice cream and all we have is frozen yogurt ...

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I really like moosetracks too, but neopalitan (sp?) is probably my favorite. I swirl it all together until it's all smooth--so good.

Jessica Nelson said...

Mint chocolate chip! Always. :-) Sorry about your tooth.
I think the government/police are way too controlling. I'm going to read that article, but I also just read one about a professor arrested for breaking into his own home. Ridiculous, and possibly racially motivater. Grrr...

Jessica Nelson said...

LOL Just read the article. I'm getting off my soapbox now. *snicker*

Jeanette Levellie said...

Terri: LOVE this post, except the part about the crown falling out, that's no fun! So sorry...

Have you tried EXTREME Moose Tracks? It is chocolate ice cream with chocolate cups and something else chocolate. So encouraging!

I like any flavor that has five or more words in the title, like "chunky chocolate brownie swirl surprise."

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Definitely Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream for me! My favorite sundae is found at Brahms and it has peanut butter cup ice cream with hot fudge and peanut butter fudge dumped all over it. I rarely have it, but I dream about it!!!

Jen said...

There is nothing worse than enjoyin a good snack and having something happen to your teeth. I broke a tooth on a Skittle once...in Ireland! And, yes, it was a green Skittle at that!

My favorite ice cream would have to be cinnamon. My husband made some for my birthday last week. Yum yummy! But if I can't have cinnamon, it's good old Vanilla for me!

~Jen

MsSnarkyPants said...

Mmmmm my very favorite is Death by Chocolate of ice creams still available today. There was one though. *Sighs thinking of it* It was Godiva Raspberry Truffle. I have never in my life tasted anything so delectably, sinfully delicious! If I had the money I would BUY the Godiva company and FORCE them to make it again! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm It was so good!!!!!!! Chunks of truffle and gooey yummy raspberry!!!!

Actually, you know, it might be good that they don't make it anymore. That may be the only reason I've lost 40 pounds. LMAO

I wonder what percent of the milk in the US goes to chocolate production...

Anonymous said...

Love Blue Moon and Superman Ice Cream from the ice cream shop. Mint chocolate chip when it's the woman's time of the month and French Vanilla when I want it at home w/ chocolate syrup and/or with rootbeer. I adore rootbeer floats.

Tana said...

I've ben on an ice cream binge myself... Sorry about your tooth! Good news is you'll be crowned soon! Big royal congrats!

J.R. Johansson said...

You may not know it, but you just discovered an age old truth...

When in doubt, eat ice cream. :) Always works for me!