Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back to Reality--and VBS

IN THE NEWS: Cabbie crashes into church with 5 locked inside. Read more HERE.


Well, it's back to the old grind today. No, not writing grind. The teaching VBS grind. Yes, I have one more week. Well, actually three more days (T, W, and Th)


I was so exhausted last week teaching that I didn't have a chance to share anything about it. (Sorry)

So without further ado... here goes:


1) 3rd and 4th graders are TOUGH. At least my group was/is. All 17 of them. Sheesh. It took me three days to find my groove. But I think I'm ready for them today. :)


2) I confess I totally lost it with them one day. Yup. And I never lose it. Well, almost never. I'm usually so calm and easy going.

Funny story about it: (well, kind of a funny story)

The kids were pretty good for the Bible lesson and games and such, but by the end of the morning they were toast. Well, one day I just couldn't believe their behavior. I actually had to get my mommy voice out and start reprimanding them BIG TIME.

Let me tell you, I must have been pretty scary because they looked like puppies with their tails between their legs. LOL!

Anyway, the youth director's wife came over to me afterwards. Naturally I thought she was going to say something about me yelling, so I was a little embarrassed.
Her: (approaching me slowly) Hey, Jennifer. I saw what happened.

Me: (frozen with that deer in the headlights look) Oh. I'm not normally like that.

Her: Really? Because when I saw you completely lose it back there, I thought, You go, girl!

All I could do was laugh at that point.

But you know what? The next day, I had the best experience with them! I really felt they connected with what I was teaching and we had a good time together.

The night before I prayed about it and decided to put it all in God's hands. You know, I'm so glad I did that. He really did take control and it was great. :)


Anyhew...today I'm going to be preparing my lessons for the week and then I'm going to the dentist because my crown (yes, the same crown from 2 weeks ago) fell out again. Grr... Then I need to work on my blurb and an acknowledgment page for Avalon.

That's it for me. So what's on your plate for this week?

11 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Just because you yelled at them doesn't mean you lost it. Sometimes that's exactly what they need. Handle your business, girl!

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, Jennifer, you are a trooper! Hang in there! What you're doing is awesome!

Kristen Painter said...

I think a little righteous anger can be very cleansing. lol Get that blurb done!

I'm just writing, writing, writing...

Jessica Nelson said...

You have my admiration! LOL Hang in there. I think they'll respect you know and you'll have a great day. :-)

MeganRebekah said...

This reminded me of my teaching days. I hated when I had to be super strict and mean to the kids, but sometimes it was necessary to keep things moving.

Good luck with the rest of the week!

Diane said...

You made it and God will honor your comittment. I'm sure He's stretching you too.... :o)

Stephanie Faris said...

I think a little "losing it" is necessary sometimes with kids. I've learned that children require infinite amounts of patience...but once we find that patience we're rewarded tenfold.

Susan R. Mills said...

If you don't lose it every once in a while, you will lose all control over kids. I admire what you are doing. Good luck with your crown and your blurb!

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... two weeks of VBS! I've done that before ... just kind of laid it on the line for the VBS kids when the behavior of a few was ruining the experience for everyone ... and found the same thing ... a MUCH better experience the next day and thereafter! Good luck!!! You go girl! :-)

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

OMG you must have the patience of a saint. Good luck sticking it out for another few days, and hope you don't have to bust out the mommy voice again;)

Beth Mann said...

My husband teaches elementary computers and used to teach 4th, so I've heard the horror stories! I love that you broke out the "mommy voice". Did the "mommy eyes" make an appearance? My son hates when I give him the mommy eyes. Only 2 more days to go! Hang in there!