Monday, December 1, 2014

New Holiday Gift idea!

New Song Added to WIP Playlist: "Suit" by Boom! Bap! Pow!
In the News: Venice Wants to Outlaw Your Rolling Suitcase-read more HERE

Happy December 1st!

It's practically Christmas. :-)

So my mom calls me last week and says, "I know what we can give as gifts this year instead of cookies."

I ask, "What?"

She says, "Red pepper jelly!"

Now I'm thinking I have NEVER seen her make jelly (or eat jelly) but I think she wanted something for us to do together so I say I'm in. Then she says, "Great! Now where do I get the jars and what's pectin?"

Uh-oh. I really thought this was not the makings of a good start, but we got together this past weekend and made some and it was relatively easy. And thanks to me and my particular attention to sanitization, I can assure any receivers of this jelly that it will be safe to eat. LOL

And here is the final product:


Now I just have to get some labels and ribbon and VOILA! I can give these out to co-workers, teachers, and neighbors.

I can't wait to try it myself on some baked brie.

Have you ever made jelly? Do you give homemade items as gifts for Christmas?

Have a great week!

4 comments:

H. R. Sinclair said...

Yes, I've made jelly. My dad used to make it all the time and I picked up the habit. I remember one year I gave out mango-passion fruit jelly for the holidays.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've made it twice. Once it worked, second time the jelly never set up. I'm glad yours turned out well.

Liza said...

I have never made it but I love red pepper jelly...even on cream cheese. Yum.

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

I can say that I have made jelly before. We once rented a place that had all sorts of fruit trees and grapes vines. It was wonderful to pick the fruit and make our own jam and nectar. Your jelly looks great!