Friday, November 6, 2009

A Break...and a Cake!

IN THE NEWS: Ohio man dressed as Breathalyzer accused of DUI. Read more HERE.

I'm officially on break. (Until Monday) :)

The kiddo is off from school (teacher's convention) and the hubby is taking a half day, so we're going to spend some time doing...something. Not sure what yet, but we are going out to breakfast now. Woo-hoo!

So I'm leaving you with a cake recipe. Carrot Cake to be exact.

I made this last weekend for my church's luncheon. I was asked to bake the cupcakes. I said, "Sure!"

72 cupcakes and 6 hours in the kitchen later...I began thinking, "WHY did I say 'sure'?"

But they were a huge hit! I even colored some of the frosting and made little "carrots" on top.
So cute!

Anyway here's the recipe:

Carrot Cupcakes
Bake in preheated oven 325 degrees for 45 minutes for cake layers and 35 minutes for cupcakes.

1 1/4 cups canola oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups grated carrots (about 1 pound)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup raisins (I omitted because I forgot to buy them and I wasn't going back out again)

Combine sugar, oil and eggs. Sift flour, soda, salt and cinnamon, add to the sugar mixture and beat well. Add vanilla, carrots, pecans and raisins. Bake in 3 - 8" layer cake pans which have been well greased.
( Made over 24 cupcakes in regular size cupcake pans lined with cupcake papers.)

Amanda's Cream Cheese Frosting for Carrot Cake
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
6 cups 10X sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Have a great weekend!


18 comments:

Tamika: said...

My husband would worship me for these! No really.

Hope you enjoy a lovely weekend Jennifer.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Enjoy your break! Have a wonderful time with your family!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Those look yummers! Have fun on your hiatus.

Kristen Painter said...

Wow that's a lot of cupcakes.

Jessica Nelson said...

Yum. I'm copying this. Enjoy your day together.

Tana said...

Oh I'm going to make this I love carrot cake! BTW, I gave you a shout out on my blog today. =)

Linda Kage said...

Ugg. That's a lot of cupcakes... and this coming from a pregnant woman! But they do sound good. Thanks for the recipe. Hope you have a great day with the family. I love family-time.

Diane said...

Cake sounds good. Am I the only one in the world that does not like cream cheese? :O)

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Have a great break and healthy, really??? Right now I crave chocolate! :D
~ Wendy

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Woohoo! Have a great weekend!

Btw, I left a little something for you over at my blog!

Julie Dao said...

Oh I love baking! Thank you for sharing the recipe! :) I hope you and your family have a great weekend.

Susan R. Mills said...

Have a great break! The cake sounds yummy. I'll have to try that.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Cupcakes, yummy. I'm gluten-free but eating one in my mind's eye. Have a great weekend!

Kelly H-Y said...

OH YUM!!! Carrot cake is the only way to go and your cupcakes sound heavenly!

Roni Loren said...

Thanks for the recipe. Have a fun weekend!

Terri Tiffany said...

The six hours scared me away.Send me one:)

Conda Douglas said...

Yum, thanks for the recipe.

Kara said...

Thank you for the recipe. My husband loves carrot cake and now I'll have to make these for him. Enjoy your weekend:)