Friday, December 21, 2007

School Holiday

IN THE NEWS: According to FoxNews, "Paul Karason puts a whole new spin on "feeling blue.” For more than a decade, the 57-year-old has been living with a blue face.
Fourteen years ago, Karason developed a bad case of dermatitis, which results in swollen, reddened and itchy skin. He started self-medicating, using a treatment called colloidal silver, which is made by extracting silver from metal.Often touted by manufacturers as a cure-all, colloidal silver usually is found in a liquid form. Looking for relief, Karason drank the concoction and rubbed it on his skin — something the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not recommend."


I'm blogging early today, because I'm sick and therefore up at an obscene hour. Oiy.

Anyhew, ever since my daughter entered kindergarten this year, I always thought the public school we send her to was pretty much a "country club" for kids. She has a science teacher, a music teacher (who told me they just received these special European xylophones this year), and even a Spanish teacher.

Um. Ok. Kindergarten has sure changed from when I went to school. But I digress...

Well, yesterday, was my daughter's Christmas party. And, yes, they called it a Christmas party, complete with Santa himself. (Again different from how I grew up) Each of the classrooms were brought to Santa and could even pick out a gift. And they weren't just token gifts. We're talking... the game Operation, a Slip n Slide, etc... Sheesh.

My daughter of course picks out finger paints. Lovely. I'm always trying to secretly--well, maybe not so secretly--discourage finger paints because I hate the mess. So my girlie couldn't wait to to flaunt her gift in front of me.

I came home and told my hubby what a wonderful party it was and how nice of the police department to donate those toys for free. He looked at me and said, "Free? We pay for the school and we pay for the police department."

Oh. Yeah.

Well, I assured him they REALLY went all out with our money. LOL!

Today is a half day for the kiddie, so I'm going to run out and get my two last gifts and then I'll be ready for Christmas.

Are you ready now?

4 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Kindergarten has changed. All we did was color, learn our alphabet and numbers, and listen to stories. But that was a hundred years ago...

Your husband is a hoot! He's telling the truth though, it just feels betters to think the other way.

I'm headed out to Darius' nursery school Christmas program, but I'm going to work at the library up in that area for a couple of hours first.

Stephanie said...

Have a merry Christmas, Jennifer! Hope Santa is good to you! And I hope he brings us BOTH better immune systems in the new year! ;o)

PatriciaW said...

Sorry you're feeling under the weather. Get better so you can enjoy what Santa brings you!

Hubby has it right. Hey, my sons attend a preschool which I pay weekly fees for that required each parent to purchase a small gift for the classroom gift exchanges, in addition to contribute a food item for the party. The max was to be $5. When I saw what was being distributed, it was clear parents did not heed that guidance, although they didn't get too outrageous. I made sure I got good quality gifts right at the max level (Tonka Trucks and Hot Wheels cars). But given that this is not an overly toney area, I always wonder about those parents who really don't have that extra $5.

Kate Willoughby said...

I don't want to seem like a Scrooge, but I can't help but wonder if the police department where you live could have found truly needy kids to distribute those gifts to.