Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Deep Thought

MENTAL STATUS: "Groovy". Despite my the little problem in my story.

Well, it was only a matter of time.

I've hit a little snag in my story. Really with my hero. He's not a likable person--very atypical of me to be writing a character like this, by the way--and I can't figure out WHY he's acting the way he is.

I figure you can write a character any way you want as long as there is some sort of reasoning behind their actions. To be honest, I can't quite put my finger on his motivation. With the kind of baggage this guy has, he shouldn't be acting the way he does. So... I'll be in deep thought today.

I really need to pin his character down before I write any further.

How well do you know your characters before you start writing?

5 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Don't you hate when that happens? Charlotte Boyett-Compo did a fabulous series of articles on writing the tortured hero. If I can find them, I'll e-mail you later with the link. Right now I'm getting ready for a doctor appointment.

Prixie said...

its amazing how they become almost real to writers

Kristen Painter said...

I know my characters very minimally until I start to write. That's when I really figure out who they are.

Diane Craver said...

Good question. I know my characters pretty well when I start a book.

Good luck on your writing!

Stephanie said...

UGH. Not very well at all either. I hate it when they throw a monkey wrench like this in my plot! Keep brainstorming, you'll figure it out!