Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St Patty's Day

IN THE NEWS: Wild turkey sends Maine motorcyclist to hospital. Read more HERE.



Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'll be honest. I'm not Irish. I'm not even Catholic. Hey, but I do enjoy a good candy Irish potato! (I have a great recipe on my website)

But for all you so called Irish men and women out there, here's a chance to strut your stuff and test your "Irish" knowledge. The test is courtesy of History.com.

Take our quiz below and test your Irish I.Q!
1) Some areas in Ireland are known to receive this many inches of rain each year, which accounts for the brilliantly green grass that has earned Ireland the nickname the "emerald isle":
a)Sixty inches
b)Seventy inches
c)Eighty inches
d)Ninety inches


2) "Erin Go Bragh," a phrase heard often on St. Patrick's Day, means:
a)I Love Ireland
b)Ireland Forever
c)Brave and Free
d)Ireland, My Home


3) Irish tradition says that anyone who kisses the blarney stone, which is located near this town, will be blessed with the Irish "gift of gab":
a)Dublin
b)Wexford
c)Cork
d)Waterford


4) This Nobel Prize-winning Irish poet and playwright was also a senator of the Irish Free State from 1922 to 1928:
a)George Bernard Shaw
b)James Joyce
c)Jonathan Swift
d)William Butler Yeats


5) This film, shot in Ireland in 1952, was directed by John Ford:
a)Ryan's Daughter
b)The Quiet Man
c)The Dead
d)The Informer


6) Traditional Irish music has found an international audience with the popularity of such Celtic bands as:
a)The Chieftains
b)The Lads
c)Shannon Rovers
d)Sweet Honey in the Rock


7) Today, the prime minister of the Republic of Ireland is:
a) Frank McCourt
b)Ian Dunkirk
c)Brian Cowen
d)Gerry Adams


8) In November 1995, the people of Ireland narrowly passed a referendum legalizing:
a)Same-sex marriages
b)Abortion
c)Divorce
d)Marijuana


9) With 27,136 square miles of land, the Republic of Ireland is approximately half the size of this U.S. state:
a)Montana
b)California
c)Louisiana
d)Arkansas


10) Today, this number of Americans trace their ancestry back to Ireland:
a)Ten million
b)Twenty-five million
c)Forty million
d)Sixty-five million

ANSWERS: 1) d, 2) b, 3) c, 4)d 5) b, 6)a, 7) c, 8) c, 9) d, 10) c

I only got half right. But I'm half Polish. :)

5 comments:

Diane Craver said...

Nice quiz - I got less than half. I'm not Irish either. I'm Catholic - a convert! LOL

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Kristen Painter said...

Irish candy potato? I need to go look at that...

Jessica Nelson said...

LOL I'm some Irish, but I don't know any of that info. :-) Thanks for stopping by the blog today. :-)

Oh, your snow is gone... now I kinda miss it.

Tana said...

I'd love to know more on your thoughts of Samhain, I've thought of submitting with them but was hesitant. I believe you mentioned they were very professional (over on Jessica's blog). I would love to know more, how long the process took, your thoughts on cover art and the distribution. If you could answer, Thank you!

Shelley Munro said...

I've visited Ireland, and it's very pretty. Does that count?