Monday, June 24, 2013

Mojito Monday!

Happy Monday!

It's finally officially summer! Last week was kind of a bust because I had to adjust to the new summer every-kid-in-the-neighborhood-is-at-my-house-plus-throw-in-a-new-puppy schedule.
But I'm excited because this week the kiddo has VBS and I'll get some writing time done in the mornings. Whew!

On another note, this weekend was our family's first day at the beach!!  It was gorgeous out! We went for about 3 hours Saturday and maybe a little longer on Sunday. I am now tan. (Tannish--or at least enough color on my legs to look respectable) Sox did great in his crate during that time.

Anyhew, we have a pretty social neighborhood here. All the kids play with one another and us grownups enjoy hanging out (and even traveling) together. So when I had "happy hour" on Sunday, I made vodka mojitos. (I don't like rum. Unless I'm on a topical island vacation, then I'll have a rum drink)

Well. They were a hit! And here's how I made them:

Fresh mint (I used organic mint)
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 tsp or squirt agave nectar (natural sweetener from the blue agave plant. Found in most food stores in the baking aisle)
2oz vodka
crushed ice
club soda

With my pharmacy background, I actually have a mortar and pestle to muddle the mint leaves a bit to break up the natural juices in them. Then I add the lime juice to the pestle and swirl it around a bit. Then I add the vodka. Then I pour everything into a pint glass. Add the agave and stir well. Then fill the glass up 3/4 way with ice and top off with club soda to the rim. Give another stir and VOILA!
I should be a bartender. :)

I like the vodka in them because there's no taste aside from the mint and lime juice. It's very refreshing.
Plus it's fun to say mojito. LOL (see below)




And that's it for me this week.
Do you have a favorite summer drink?

15 comments:

Julie Jarnagin said...

Mojitos are my favorite drink, but I've never tried to make them myself. Yum!

Linda Kage said...

Sounds like a great place to be in the summer. We keep going through the iced tea around our house lately! Just can't make enough of it.

Old Kitty said...

Vodka mojitos!! That sounds AMAZING!! I may even try to locate some of this agave nectar!!! Yay!!

Awww hoorah for Sox and what's VBS??

Enjoy the beach! Take care
x

Stacy McKitrick said...

I tried a mojito once - never again. Granted, I'm not a rum fan, but I didn't like the mint. Ugh!

Maria Zannini said...

Re: tarnish

LOL! I love that. From now I'm not going to be tanned--just tarnished.


I love a good margarita or screwdriver. I don't drink often so when I do, I mix with the good stuff. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

I like rum mojitos. Never had a vodka one. I'll put it on my list!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds yummy! I really don't drink alcohol nearly enough - I'll have to give this a try! My son made me a marguerita to try a couple of weeks ago and it was good. (Now I'm going to sound stupid but I think that's the name - kind of like a smoothie :))

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds luscious. I bet you were the hit of the party.

Liza said...

I love mojitos...with rum! :)

Unknown said...

You make me want to get a mortar and pestal. :) Sounds great and refreshing, just my kind of drink :)

Rula Sinara said...

Mint and lime go great together! I add them to my iced tea. I love using Agave too!

Linda G. said...

Mmmm...mojitos. Love 'em. I've never had one with vodka, though--I'll have to give it a try, especially now that the mint in my garden is proliferating so nicely.

Nancy said...

You are so lucky that you tan (and so easily it sounds.) If I go out in the sun, I cover up as much of my body as I can. Such a bummer.

I'm glad you are having fun and your puppy sounds so cute.

About the drink - It sounds refreshing.

Nas said...

Lol! I heard and read of Mojito, yet never actually tried it. Now I'm writing this recipe down to try!

Nas

Jessica Nelson said...

I don't think I've ever had one of those but the mint and aguave (or however you spell it) sound like they'd be yummy!