WHAT'S JEN WORKING ON? Plotting a new series for Entangled Bliss and plotting a contemporary single title romance. Yikes!
A few weekends ago, I attended the NJRW Conference and thought that one of the keynote speakers was excellent. Very inspiring. I kept laughing and nodding my head the whole time. I could have been this author's Ed McMahon. I had a really great time there. You know, conferences are funny beasts...
Oops. Maybe I'll save that for another blog post. :)
Where was I? Oh, yeah. The keynote speaker.
Her name was HelenKay Dimon and she was fantastic. Mainly because what she spoke about was 100% relatable as a fellow writer. She gave us a list of things to remember as we're all going through this writing journey together, and I thought I'd share.
(Footnote: I'm paraphrasing and probably interpreted my own ideas into a good chunk of what she said. So blame me and not her)
1) This writing business isn't fair
- guess what? She's right! Ever read a NY Times Best-selling book and think..."???????????" Maybe your book IS better. Maybe your friend just signed a $20 million dollar contract and you're only making $12 thousand a year. Deal with it and don't try to figure it out. Just remember it's not meant to be fair.
2) Writing doesn't get any easier
- Ms Dimon is a writer of over 40 novels an novellas (award-winning and best-selling) to NUMEROUS publishers and she admits it is a STRUGGLE to sit in that writing chair everyday.
- I find the same and more. Every time I begin a new book, I think, "How did I do this again?"
3) There is no such thing as a muse
- I agree again. If I waited until my "muse" showed up, I would NEVER make my editor's deadline or probably ever finish a book. Truth.
- Why? Because that idea hasn't become "work" yet. And let's face it writing a book is WORK.
5) You should be learning your craft and getting better with every book
- Another reason to go to conferences, read writing books and blogs, and always be writing
All these things hit home for me. And if you are a writer, I hope it does the same for you!
Big thanks to the NJ Romance Writers Put our Heart in a Book Conference volunteers. I really enjoyed and am looking forward to next year's conference!
Have a great week and see you next month!
My next Entangled Bliss Christmas release:
WRONG BROTHER, RIGHT MATCH will be released December 5th!
Don't forget to add it to your Goodreads list!
Are you on Netgalley? Good news then. It's up for review now!
Interested in helping out with my release day blast? Sign up HERE and we'll send you what you need to post.