Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Don't Get It

MENTAL STATUS: "Frustrated". Thought all this tooth business was behind me. Had a dentist appointment yesterday to remove stitches, then he breaks the news that I need to go to my regular dentist today to get a denture thingy put in so my teeth don't shift while I'm waiting for the bones to heal so I can get my implant in 6 months. Ugh!

Anyhew, the hubby and I rented a movie this past weekend. Hollywoodland.

Heard of it? Yeah, me either, but it sounded kind of cool: A down-on-his luck detective investigating the "suicide" of actor George Reeves who played the TV version of Superman.

I suppose the movie had its moments--due largely to the great acting. But somewhere in the middle and then spiraling toward the end, I kept thinking "What's the point of all this?" The detective keeps finding clues that lead you to believe it could have been murder, but then nothing really comes of it. And the whole time the detective is doing his investigation, you see parts of his rotten life.

To make matters worse, there was no HEA. Not even some sort of mediocre closure. I need closure. Give me SOMETHING! As the credits were rolling I kept looking for the "just kidding" sign and more of the movie to come.

Alas, there was no sign. It really was the end.

This movie would probably make a great discussion piece for one of those elective art classes you needed during college. Then you could analyze to your hearts content if there was a parallel life going on between the dead actor and the detective. But for entertainment purposes, I just didn't get it. I want to be told the story. I don't want to have to try to figure it out.

Do you like movies that make you work?

5 comments:

Elle Fredrix said...

Depends on what I'm working for. Not so pleased if I have to work to find the point of it all, but if it's a mystery/suspence I love trying to figure out the clues.

Assuming it's a good movie and I keep watching. I hate predictable suspense.

Chicki Brown said...

The last movie I saw like that was Denzel Washington's "Deja Vu," a good flick but very confusing at the end.

The movie I had to work the hardest on trying to figure out was "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise. I saw it years ago and I'm still working on it!

Chelle Sandell said...

{hugs} on more teeth issues. Yes...you have issues. LOL.

We watched the movie and I agree about being left hanging. But I had seen interviews and reviews before I saw the movie and knew it was supposed to be more speculative and explanatory of the people involved in George Reeves death as to theories to what could've happened. But the anal me was irritated and kinda bored.

Unknown said...

Sorry about those tooth woes! And yeah, I need the happy ending and all the lose ends tied up neatly. I'd rather be entertained than have to work to figure out the deeper meaning of the plot.

Anonymous said...

My hubby MAKES me watch David Lynch movies. Ugh, I so need movies that make sense!!!!! HEA's preferred.

The last one we saw had "road" in the title. "Lost Road", maybe?

Thanks for the review of "Hollywoodland". I thought about renting it, but now I think I'll pass. (I kinda think Adrian Brody is cute in that "nerdy" way.)

P.S. Jennifer: Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's a big day for me :)