Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A Little Blogger Sorbet

IN THE NEWS: According to World Magazine, "A New Zealand tree trimmer only thought he was out of peril. After he spent more than an hour and a half trapped high in a pine tree after having his leg broken by a wayward limb, paramedics in a rescue helicopter were finally able to lift him out of the tree. But as the copter tried to swing him out of the forest, it dragged the man through another tree, adding cuts and bruises to his injuries."
(The FIRST thing that went through my mind was a Simpson's episode. In fact, this one. Especially toward the end.)

Well, I'm interrupting all my splendid vacations pictures and recaps to announce some good news. No, I didn't say GREAT news--that would have been my blogger title--but some good news to me, anyway.

Last month the library in our town announced a $2.7 million expansion.

Oh. You don't think this is something to get excited about? But it is. You see, I LOVE my library!

I hang out there mostly because they have such great children's programs (puppet shows, crafts, story time). My daughter loves it too, and whenever we go there we cannot leave without at least one book and video in hand. They also have a great selection of books for adults. And if they don't have what I'm looking for, the librarians are always order and get it for me within days. Super service!

This expansion plan will increase space by 8,000 square feet, include several more meeting rooms (one room will have theater seating like a college lecture hall), more computers (I hope that includes preschool/children's computers) and a coffee bar!

**Sigh**

I cannot wait for the day I can bring my laptop to the library, do some writing and drink coffee. It sounds like heaven on earth.

Do you have something like that in your town?

5 comments:

Elle Fredrix said...

I've got a big 3 story library close by, but I haven't been in it in years. I'm sure I would be if I had small children, but I don't. And, I buy all my books. So, no need for the library!

It's great that they're doing this. More places should be doing something to encourage reading. For young people and adults.

Chicki Brown said...

Atlanta has some wonderful libraries. The new one in Lovejoy has a fireplace where they do storytime in the winter. The Fayette library is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. That's where I attended an event called "Romance is a Many Splendored Thing" last month.

I must admit that I use the libraries to attend functions only. I buy all my books, and when I want to hang out, I do the coffee shops and bookstores.

Jennifer Shirk said...

HA!
I guess it helps that my library is like 2 blocks from my house!

I do buy SOME books, but on the whole, I take them out of the library. They even have the Harlequin/Silhouette books too.

Chelle Sandell said...

Our town is pretty small but they are wonderful about childrens activities. They also allow the homeschool groups to meet and order books. I'm sure Oklahoma City has a much larger sized library and more than one. I used to study at the one near OU while in college and it is really nice.

Ivan Chew said...

Hmm... interesting comments. Gives me some insights why visits to libraries might be dropping. Of course I qualify that I've not seen the libraries where you live. I'd expect them to be somewhat different in size and scope to where I work (I'm from Singapore). In anycase, seems to me your libraries ought to reinvent themselves to become more of spaces to allow social interactions rather than a warehouse of books. Just my 2-cents. :)